200 S. Broadway
Historic Tax Credit Eligible
Qualified Opportunity Zone
Located in National Register District
Local MSSS Grant Eligible
The Price Jones Smith building, also known as the McCulloch building, was constructed in c. 1910 as McCulloch’s Grocery, owned by Ed McCulloch (sometimes recorded McCullough). McCulloch’s Grocery occupied the building for more than thirty years. Ghosts signs can be seen on the northern elevation of the structure reading, “McCulloch’s Grocery, Good Values” and “Aristos Flour.” Later, it was an IGA Grocery and then Hodges McKinney Company, which sold appliances and household goods.
Afterwards, it became the Original Smith furniture store around the mid-1960s and remained so until the late 1990s. Recently, it housed Feyerabend & Lokalen: Photography and Frame Shop and Joy of Motion Studio. Today it houses Captured by Mary Creative and Blogs for Brands. The rear of the building was used as a warehouse and loading dock, now the shared customer patio and entrances to Creekside Taproom and Ash & Ember. The building also houses two apartments and one condo in the upper story.
Much like it is today, the two-story brick masonry structure commercial building sat on a stone foundation with three brick chimneys, distinguished by rusticated concrete pilasters, upper story brick corbelling, rusticated concrete lintels and sills, and one-over-one double-hung upper story windows. The façade masonry of the building utilizes blonde brick, while the remainder of the structure is red brick. It was common for front facades to display higher quality, popular brick styles of the period than the surrounding elevations.
The original storefronts of the building have been altered; they were restructured and replaced with larger display windows and transoms. Originally, the storefronts had symmetrical structuring with double-leaf entrances flanked by display windows framed in wood. Today, both storefronts have offset single-leaf entrances and transoms with thinner dividing muntin bars. These alterations however have not significantly changed the solid-to-void ratio of the storefront from its historical form; therefore, the building remains contributing to the Siloam Springs Historic Commercial District.
For more information on this building’s history, contact the Siloam Springs Museum at Don@siloamspringsmuseum.com. For information on building improvement consultation, grants and tax credit opportunities, contact Main Street Siloam Springs at email@example.com.
McCulloch Block, c. 1910, Siloam Printing Collection.
Captured by Mary and Blogs for Brands, d. 2020, Main Street Siloam Springs.