101 S. Broadway
Qualified Opportunity Zone
Historic Tax Credit Eligible
Local MSSS Grant Eligible
Located in National Register District
Constructed in 1937-8, this building served as the new location for the United States Post Office in Siloam Springs, taking the place of the local post office previously at 107 E. University. The building was federally funded by the WPA. Architecturally, the structure possesses Art Deco and PWA/WPA modernist styling. Many buildings in the United States between 1933 and 1944 were constructed in this style, usually as part of a relief project sponsored by the Public Works Administration. The building is almost identical to the Nashville Post Office in Nashville, Howard County, Arkansas, built the same year.
The exterior of the building has been immaculately preserved, as well as the original interior WPA mural, “Lumbering in Arkansas,” painted by artist Bertrand R. Adams in 1940. The mural is a general depiction of the four primary industries in Arkansas at the time, rather than a portrait of Siloam Springs life.
The blonde brick masonry building boasts of a central double-leaf west facing entrance lighted by an eight-pane transom. The entrance is flanked by brick pilasters and two large eight-over-eight double-hung windows on both sides. The windows are set in five separate symmetrical indentions bordered by brick pilasters, and a cast concrete course stretches across the entire exterior to emphasize horizontality. A plaque rest on the lower left of the western elevation, reading, “Henry Morgenthau Jr., Secretary of the Treasury, James A. Farley, Postmaster General, Louis A. Simon: Supervising Architect, Neal A. Melick: Supervising Engineer, 1937.” In addition to these primary players, Bel-Stafford Construction Company aided in this development.
In 1964, a southern addition was added; however, the addition does not threaten the building’s historic integrity; therefore, the building is considered contributing to the Siloam Springs Historic Commercial District. In 2005, the building received the state Historic Preservation Restoration Grant for $10,000 for repairs. In 2016, the building received the grant again for $56,666 for the roof. Currently the building is home to Phat Tire, a full-service bike shop. The interior has been rehabilitated sympathetically to fit the current business’s needs while still honoring its historic integrity.
For more information on this building’s history, contact the Siloam Springs Museum at Don@siloamspringsmuseum.com. For information on building improvement consultation, grants and tax credit opportunities, contact Main Street Siloam Springs at email@example.com.
United States Post Office, c.1940, Siloam Printing Collection.
Phat Tire, d. 2020, Main Street Siloam Springs.