101 N. Broadway
Qualified Opportunity Zone
Local MSSS Grant Eligible
Located in National Register District
The Gray Building was constructed c. 1915, first servicing the community as an auto garage with a marked capacity of twenty-five cars. The structure later became the Grand Theatre in the 1940s through the 50s and was one of three total theatres in the downtown at the time; a significant ratio for a town with a population of less than 3,000. The building was converted to a bowling alley in the 1960s.
Before alteration, in the 1940s, the one-story brick masonry commercial structure possessed a cornice decorated with brick corbelling, a wide symmetrical façade crowned by a protruding marquee sign in the Art Deco style, and a recessed entry with double-leaf doors on either side of the ticket counter. The original brick walls and decorative corbelling can be viewed on the southern elevation, an indication of the former façade. The western elevation has been re-bricked and a wood shingle shed awning has been attached to cover the entire face of the structure. Due to these alterations, the building is designated as non-contributing by the National Register.
For more information on this building’s history, contact the Siloam Springs Museum at Don@siloamspringsmuseum.com. For information on building improvement consultation, grants and tax credit opportunities, contact Main Street Siloam Springs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grand Theatre, c. 1939, “Hico, a Heritage: Siloam Springs History”.
101 N. University, d. 2020, Main Street Siloam Springs.