101-105 W. University
Independently Listed (only 105 W. University)
Local MSSS Grant Eligible
Historic Tax Credit Eligible
Located in National Register District
Constructed in 1901, Gamble’s Dry Goods Building was purchased from Mr. Gilbreath in 1900 by Mr. Gamble. Mr. Gamble’s dry goods business was so successful that he expanded westward that same year and constructed what is known as the Zimmerman Block, reaching 105 W. University. The eastern building was constructed by Gilbreath in c. 1890. An ancillary single-story stone masonry building to the north was constructed in c. 1900 as a storage shed. Today, this block has been partitioned into three separate storefronts, currently housing, from east to west: Benton County Health Department, Formal Evenings, and Savvy Salon.
The Zimmerman Block storefronts were built in the traditional storefront style, popular from the 1880s to the early 1900s. It is characterized by elaborately decorated pressed metal cornices, cast-iron columns, large display windows, beveled single-leaf recessed entries, stone quoins, paneled bulkheads, and transom windows. The building’s locally iconic storefront piers are constructed of rusticated, or cut, stone, linked to the pride and wealth of other Romanesque inspired structures in the downtown, such as: the First National Bank building at 109 E. University (now Arvest Bank) and the Stockton building at 113 N. Broadway (now John Allison DDS).
Lost architectural features include the cornices of the two most eastern buildings and a pediment which sat atop the wide cornice between these buildings, reading “Zimmerman Block 1901.” Additionally, the storefront cast iron columns were fashioned by Riverside Iron Works Co. in Kansas City, MO, most likely transported by the Kansas City Southern Railroad to the Siloam Springs depot.
Each of this building’s sectioned storefronts holds a separate status with the National Register. The western section at 105 W. University is recognized as an independently listed structure by the National Register, it’s boldly decorated cornice still intact. The eastern two structures are designated as contributing buildings to the local downtown historic district.
For more information on this building’s history, contact the Siloam Springs Museum at Don@siloamspringsmuseum.com. For information on building improvement consultation, grants and tax credit opportunities, contact Main Street Siloam Springs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gamble’s Dry Goods, d. 1904, Siloam Springs Museum.
Savvy, The Nitche & Community Clinic, d. 2020, Main Street Siloam Springs.