100 S. Broadway
Qualified Opportunity Zone
Local MSSS Grant Eligible
Located in National Register District
Constructed in 1894, the Robinson-Franklin building housed Robinson’s Ben Franklin Store, a five and dime, from the 1940s to 1994. A touchstone of this history can be seen in the ghost signs on the building’s northern elevation. In the 19th century, this building was initially occupied as a boots and shoes shop. In the first decades of the 20th century, it was a Good Luck Grocery and Cravens Drugs in the lower story, and Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges in the upper story. The Masonic Square and Compasses Freemasonry symbol and the Odd Fellows’ Triple Links symbol are on the cornice band above the second story windows . Today, the building is occupied by The Dogwood Literacy Council.
Before alteration, the Robinson-Franklin was constructed as a two-story brick masonry commercial structure on a continuous stone foundation. Its upper façade was composed of an elaborate pressed metal cover with columns bordering the windows, evocative of the Colonial Revival architectural style. The current wood façade was added in 1965. The alteration of the storefront and enclosure of the upper story windows consequentially designates this building as non-contributing in the National Register.
For more information on this building’s history, contact the Siloam Springs Museum at Don@siloamspringsmuseum.com. For information on building improvement consultation, grants and tax credit opportunities, contact Main Street Siloam Springs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good Luck Grocery, c. 1890, Siloam Springs Museum.
Dogwood Literacy Council, d. 2020, Main Street Siloam Springs.