Farmers Market Manager Position Description
Job Title: Farmers Market Manager
Location: Farmers Market Promenade (Memorial Park); Main Street Office
Reports To: Executive Director
Rate of pay is dependent upon experience; experience working at or vending at a farmers market is a plus.
Hours = up to 15 hours per week (including two, 30-hour weeks for outdoor market opening prep and execution) during market season.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Market Manager is the “go-to” person for vendors and consumers during market hours and is a MSSS representative on site. The job requires enthusiasm, personal confidence and the ability to effectively communicate with a variety of people including municipal employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determine the eligibility of those wanting to sell at the market based on the rules established by the market’s governing body. Inspect farms 1-2 times a year. Actively recruit new producers and makers to expand the variety of products for sale.
- Collect rental fees from vendors and maintain accurate records of payment.
- Assign vendor selling spaces if they are not allocated on a first-come, first served basis. It is recommended to keep vendors in the same place throughout the season to avoid booth vendor and shopper confusion.
- Be knowledgeable of supply and demand conditions and their direct effect on produce prices. Does not set prices but will have information useful to farmers needing to determine fair prices.
- Ensure that the Farmers Market has the proper permits for outdoor market usage at Memorial Park.
- Stress the sale of high-quality produce. Monitor each farmer’s products and encourage them to market only high-quality goods, not excess items or leftovers.
- Assure the market is operated in a timely and efficient manner, and that sales occur only within the specific market hours. Establish and enforce regular outdoor market hours of operation.
- Settle or prevent disputes among farmers as well as disagreements arising between shoppers and farmers. Be friendly, courteous and consistent in all dealings with both farmers and consumers.
- Keep the MSSS Board of Directors advised of the market’s conditions, providing them with relevant data on gross vendor sales, market income and feedback from customer and vendor surveys. Work with committees to review, update, or create market rules, strategies for future growth and partnerships with other organizations.
- Providing monthly status updates to the Main Street Executive Director, Farmers Market Board Liaison, and Board of Directors.
- Work with the Executive Director in relation to Farmers Market sponsor benefits and actively thank and engage with sponsors in hopes of building partnerships and retaining sponsorships.
- Continually evaluate the market’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Oversee and encourage respectful use of Memorial Park facilities in market use (kitchen and promenade) for cleanliness and proper upkeep during outdoor market days.
- Maintain programs such as WIC, SNAP, Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, Double Your Dollar, etc…
- Coordinate and lead monthly (or as needed) Farmers Market Committee meetings with the purpose of assistance in maintaining a robust market vendor list, community-based programming/events, co-branding events to enhance community involvement and organize volunteer schedules for the Farmers Market.
Events being held at the market:
Kids Day (2nd Sat.)
Samples of the Seasons
Live Music Entertainment (up to 12 times a season)
Send resumes to Stacy@MainStreetSiloam.org
Resumes will be accepted through February 15th.